At English Martyrs', we teach mathematics to enable children to develop a range of essential life skills, including the ability to calculate, solve problems, think in abstract ways, as well as logical reasoning.
Our pupils extend their knowledge and understanding of mathematics through the use of mental images, Information and Communication Technology, practical activity, exploration, investigation and discussion using appropriate mathematical vocabulary.
We aim to enable each child to:
- Develop a positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of the fascination of mathematics.
- Develop competence and confidence in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills.
- Develop an ability to solve problems, to reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately.
- Have initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others.
- Have an ability to communicate mathematics and to develop mathematical language.
- Have an ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life.
- Have an understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and investigation.